Kabaka Pyramid, the Bebble Rock virtuoso, returned with his most recent release, his sophomore album, The Kalling on Friday, September 30th! For his latest offering, he unveils the no-skip-necessary fifteen-track masterpiece produced by Damian ‘Jr Gong’ Marley. Kabaka’s new project features some of reggae’s most frequent collaborators, including: Damian Marley, Protoje, Black Am I, Jesse Royal, and Buju Banton. As well as some new ones, including Stephen Marley.
Kabaka Pyramid Kontinues With The Kalling
Back with a brand new banger, The Kalling comes as the follow up to his 2018 Kontraband which was well received also! His debut album, Kontraband, received critical acclaim and included sizzling singles like “Kontraband” featuring Damian Marley, and “Kaught Up”, which they paired a popular music video with that aired on BET, and Reggae Music. As a result, his new, fresh fifteen-track marvel provides a sufficient platform for Kabaka to update old and new listeners about his growth and changes since his first album.
As for this album, hypnotizing hits like “Make Things Work”, “Red, Gold & Green” featuring Damian Marley, “Grateful” featuring Jemere Morgan, and the title track “The Kalling” featuring Stephen Marley make up the lead singles for his latest drop. Additionally, production is powered by Damian Marley, Stephen Marley, Young Pow and Kabaka Pyramid himself. Which in fact is another tradition carried over from the previous album. From the sharp perfection of percussion and bass to the sampling of iconic songs by Junior Byles in “Faded Away” featuring Buju Banton, Peter Tosh in “Mystic Man”, or Eddie Fitzroy in “EZ Ride”, the production highlights the richness of Reggae music. Furthermore, Damian ‘Jr Gong’ Marley exemplified the richness of Reggae in each production, while Kabaka Pyramid honed his lyrical craft, delivering provoking topics while captivating the listener.
Kabaka Pyramid Continued…
Not only does The Kalling showcase Kabaka’s impeccable pen game, but it also tells stories with redeemable social value. For example, “Addiction” tells the story of the unhealthy relationships that most of us have with social media and places it under a meticulous microscope for public debate. The Kalling is a powerful sequel for Kabaka because he is able to fulfill all of his responsibilities as an artist to culture and society. While also fulfilling his responsibilities to himself to improve his dexterity within the medium. This new release adds to what has become a tradition of strong albums with reggae sounds juxtaposed against diverse music ranging from funk to jazz and even hip hop.
Overall, his expansive discography is a symphony of excellent songs made to be the clearest and most accurate musical statement about his song craft’s evolution. In fact, when digging deeper into his artistry you learn that his name “Kabaka” is Ugandan for “King”. Also, that the long-lasting survival of ancient Africa’s Pyramids represent his desire for longevity in music and his deep connection to Kemetic roots; leaving messages for future generations to come. Moreso, Kabaka Pyramid is well known for songs such as “Warrior”and “Well Done”, which focused on local systemic issues, as well as Reggae Music, which took on a life of its own.
The Kalling: The Inspiration
When reflecting on the inspiration behind his release, Kabaka went on to say:
“The Kalling is really about my journey in music being for a higher purpose, not just to get rich or popular, but to inspire a higher vibration in whoever listens. While the majority seek pleasure and sense gratification, there are a few who the Most High kall upon to keep the balance inna earth. Music is what I use to answer the kall and you can feel it throughout this album. I think my audience will see the growth in my songwriting and delivery. Along with Zilla’s top notch and diverse production, making it easy to follow me on this journey from start to finish – no filler tracks to be skipped”
Following the release of his sophomore album The Kalling, Kabaka is gearing up to embark on a US tour with Nattali Rize and Jordan T as supporting acts. Ready to hit the road, the tour kicks off on October 4th in Seattle, WA at Nectar Lounge before concluding at Culture Room in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on November 13th! You won’t want to miss out! Get your tickets today as they’re now available to the general public. Click here to cop yours! Take a look at the tour line up and see when Kabaka will be in your city!
The Kalling US Tour Dates
- Oct 4, 2022 – Nectar Lounge – Seattle, WA
- Oct 5, 2022 – Jack London Revue – Portland, OR
- Oct 7, 2022 – SLO Brew Rock – San Luis Obispo, CA
- Oct 8, 2022 – The Alpine – Reno, NV
- Oct 9, 2022 – Cornerstone – Berkley, CA
- Oct 11, 2022 – Arcata Theatre Lounge – Arcata, CA
- Oct 12, 2022 – Felton Music Hall – Felton, CA
- Oct 13, 2022 – Ventura Music Hall – Ventura, CA
- Oct 14, 2022 – Winstons – San Diego CA
- Oct 16, 2022 – Venice West – Venice, CA
- Oct 17, 2022 – Hopmonk Tavern – Sebastopol, CA
- Oct 18, 2022 – The Crazyhorse – Nevada City, CA
- Oct 21, 2022 – Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox – Denver, CO
- Oct 22, 2022 – Brues Alehouse – Pueblo, CO
- Oct 27, 2022 – Brooklyn Made – Brooklyn, NY
- Oct 28, 2022 – Hawk and Reed – Greenfield, MA
- Oct 29, 2022 – Westerly Sound at Knickerbocker Music Center -Westerly, RI
- Oct 30, 2022 – Bill’s Bar – Boston, MA
- Nov 1, 2022 – Spirit Lodge – Pittsburgh, PA
- Nov 2, 2022 – Soundstage – Baltimore, MD
- Nov 4, 2022 – Salvage Station – Asheville, NC
- Nov 5, 2022 – One Life to Love Festival – St. Croix Virgin Islands
- Nov 8, 2022 – Jannus Live – St. Petersburg, FL
- Nov 9, 2022 – Terra Fermata – Stuart, FL
- Nov 10, 2022 – 1904 Music Hall – Jacksonville, FL
- Nov 11, 2022 – The Ranch – Fort Myers, FL
- Nov 12, 2022 – Ocean Deck – Daytona, FL
- Nov 13, 2022 – Culture Room – Ft Lauderdale, FL
For now, get familiar with this trailblazing talent here! Be sure to press play and run up the streams for The Kalling! Lastly, let us know what you think!
CONNECT WITH KABAKA PYRAMID ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
CONNECT WITH HIP HOP DOSE:
Finally, if you haven’t already, be sure to check out some of our previous articles. Here’s a look at one of our most recents. Kahttps://hiphopdose.com/2022/09/27/kayo-da-don-returns-new-release/yo Da Don Returns With New Release
For any questions with regards to submissions, promotion, collaboration or personal questions please fill out the contact form on our Contact Page